Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

Having taught The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline, in my EDUC 491 practicum of English First Peoples 10, I feel that standard 9 has provided new meaning for me. Contributing to the healing process of truth and reconciliation is not just something that is a check mark completed off of a to do list, but when actually discussing and showing the ways of knowing and being in the classroom I found that students have been able to reflect on themselves and find out more about their identity. When teaching this novel study, FPPL 7 (Learning requires the exploration of one’s identity) was highly relevant with some of my indigenous students. I had one indigenous student tell me that she found out a lot about herself within her value system as an individual after reading the novel. This is exactly the type of angle I was looking for when thinking of this standard and teaching an indigenous text, as students are not going to learn about themselves if they are only every taught literature from one perspective.