In perhaps one of my favourite topics in education, I was able to expand my skills immensely as a lifelong practitioner in Career Education. The capstone project was perhaps one of my most glorifying, well-prepared presentation that I have properly been able to execute throughout the entire presentation. I was able to connect my practice to career theory, which I have been so eager to learn about. since starting the education program back in Sept 2020. Taking ideas from articles, such as “The High Five”, are essential in my belief of career education as a whole within the school system. This article outlined Canada’s stay in school initiative, where people were asked to summarize everything they knew about career development; this came to five key concepts. 1. change is constant 2. follow your heart 3. focus on the journey 4. stay learning 5 be an ally. Each step provided detailed accounts of applying great skills, knowledge, and mentalities to the process of career development in education.

Meanwhile, in diverse education, I was able to apply what I have learned in career ed to the students with the social, emotional, and diverse needs of the classroom. One clip quote that really stuck out to me was the need for emotional intelligence to be set aside in the classroom: “What we need as humans is a safe place to UNPACK all of who we are, we need boundaries and holding, but we also need empathy and compassion for all those big feelings that rise from within.” This particular section of the course resonated with me because I was able to relate to the emotional side of things with how to help my students and benefit their learning. I also think that fostering this type of belief system in my classroom will go so far; setting aside just 5 minutes from a lesson can incorporate the needs of my students perfectly while still being able to adapt to the content of my lesson.

Overall, these two courses were imperative to my education in becoming a teacher. They have shaped some of my beliefs, ideas, and concepts around key areas of education that were severely lacking before. With these two classes in particular, I was not just limited to more knowledge in education on the subject matter, but specifically in thinking about these concepts in a different way allowing me to transcend into mastery in my journey.