In the process of teaching youth, curriculum and assessment are essential tools that I have considered since long before starting teachers college. In my observation practicum, I have been shown the BC new curriculum with regards to several different subjects and it was very intriguing. I was able to look at the different branches of an English 11 class, whether it be media studies, composition, or creative writing, the big ideas all sort of fell the same way. The teacher explained to me the language of big ideas allow for flexibility in lesson plans and assignments, as long as they are following the core competency guidelines under the subject content. I think this is important to note because it not only allows for the students to be more engaged, but also for the teachers to do more facilitating of learning. This curriculum adjustment allows students to be bringing in some of their own passions and interests into the classroom while still learning the fundamental skills that it takes to become a scholar. Assessment also ties into this conversation nicely because while allowing for a broader base for knowledge in curriculum, there also is flexibility within assessing students to provide more feedback. By doing a formative assessment, it allows the student to be evaluated in a low pressure situation that allows for me as the teacher to see where a student is at in regards to learning the subject I am teaching. It is important for a teacher to do this kind of assessment from time to time to check in with the students and see several things: how they’ve progressed, where to go next, and what area of skill or study needs improvement. I ultimately think that this assessment allows more wiggle room for a student to learn and grow, however, formative assessment is essential for students to be aware of and have some practice in. I don’t always think the test to be the omega of all summative assessment, it does have some use, but allowing students to tie together all that they have learned in some form of project or presentation is another way of allowing students to summarize their learning while still practicing key presentation and analytic skills. While I am clearly not the most well versed in assessment at this point in my student teacher career, I look forward to learning the basis of assessment and how it operates in a classroom.